Technical Writer-Instructional Designer
Boise, ID. Posted 09-04-18
Job Title: Technical Writer - Instructional Designer
Location: Boise, ID
Technical Writer - Instructional Designer Job Details:
Our Client is in need of an experienced Technical Writer who develops and maintains user and technical documentation and project process documentation. This Technical Writer understands the user’s view of applications and /or technology and can put procedures in a logical sequence. The experienced Technical Writer provides expertise on technical concepts of applications and /or user groups and structuring procedures in a logical sequence, due to a broad understanding of the applications.
Agency Expected Deliverables
Years of Relevant Experience: Four plus years of experience.
Preferred Education: Four-year college degree or equivalent technical study.
Skills and knowledge in the following areas.
• Develop, enhance, and maintain user documentation for multiple applications including documentation required for the operations provider.
• Develop on-line source documentation as appropriate.
• Identify, create, revise, and maintain documentation and templates
• Ensure appropriate control access/use of documentation materials.
• Ensure messages and terminology is consistent across all written materials.
• Determine procedures for use of on-line documentation tools and version control documentation as appropriate.
• Assist or guide other Technical Writer as needed to develop and maintain user and technical documentation for their assigned applications.
• Identify and make recommendations around documentation and templates
• Work with users and other State personnel to ensure that the solutions meet State business requirements.
• Identify and initiate continuous improvement opportunities.
• Direct the development of accurate estimates for documentation requests/activities as required
• Must have extensive experience developing curriculum and creating eLearning materials
• Ability to execute duties working under tight deadlines
• Be proficient in eLearning software, such as Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline, etc.
Specific Skills Required (Programming languages, databases, operating systems, etc.)
As an Instructional Designer, you will be responsible for creating content outlines and storyboards for interactive web-based training programs, curriculum and eLearning course development. You must have excellent writing skills and strong skills working with the Adobe Creative Suite and Captivate or similar products. You will also work with a team to help develop creative exercises and visuals to enhance the training experience via video conference, webinar or eLearning courses.
- Create a variety of training materials – lesson plans/curriculum, eLearning videos, job aids, infographics and webinar scripts and presentations, etc. - to support and train process releases, rule changes and business initiatives. Required Skills/Experience:
• Ability to analyze and synthesize complex content
• Extensive Training experience
• Excellent work ethic and strong intellectual curiosity
• Ability to work quickly, efficiently, and multi-task
• Ability to write clearly and effectively for multiple audiences
• Experience working with subject matter experts
• Ability to learn, organize, and communicate new subject matter
• Attention to detail
• Technical communication, writing, and end-user training
• Knowledge of instructional design concepts and principles
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Ability to develop hands-on exercises, scenarios and assessments
• Knowledge of online teaching and learning methods
• Experience in developing web-based courses. Must understand how to create web-based training
• Multimedia experience
• Knowledge of project management
• Experience providing training to adults in a work setting using adult learning styles
- Deliver, via conference call and web meeting, training to staff on new business rules, processes and e-tools
Desired but not mandatory skills/experience:
• Knowledge and experience in project management including using Agile Product Development and Lean methodology.