Software Engineer - DevOps
SOFTWARE ENGINEER - DevOps
6+ month contract
The Position: We are hiring a Software Engineer responsible for the tools and processes associated with building and releasing code. This includes source code management and build artifact management to support deployment into the test and production environments, and development of processes with a focus on automation for the Retail Payment Office (RPO). The Software Engineer maintains and operates a collection of applications that support the software development lifecycle, including Jenkins, Jira, TaskTop, Maven, SVN, and Confluence. In addition, the Software Engineer develops and deploys automation to operate and monitor these systems using a wide variety of open source technologies and tools. Candidate requires collaboration, open communication, and reaching across functional borders. Candidate must possess a track record of being a self-directed and creative team member in a fast-paced, dynamic environment supporting complex software applications while being a strong contributor to a diverse range of projects.
What You'll Do:
- Provide DevOps tool maintenance and enhancement solutions across the DevOps stack – Subversion, SonarQube, Tasktop, Maven, and Jira.
- Provide strong internal customer focus on business unit automation enablement; build and deploy automation, scripting, web service administration, and code management.
- Develop and ensure DevOps standards and practices are adhered to by development teams. .
- Serve as an escalation point for technical impediments.
- Create technical documents to implement the solutions and guide the implementations, to meet requirements, as needed.
- Support vendor product evaluations, and work with selected vendors to enable selected products.
- Ability to articulate DevOps solutions to various levels .
- Collaborate with Architects to provide DevOps solutions as necessary.
- Configure build servers to execute the CI/CD processes in a clear maintainable manor with high-visibility into the build test and deployment phases.
- Work with application teams to help them adopt continuous build inspection testing and deployment.
- Help to configure DevOps stack with regards to performance monitoring analytics and audit-ability.
- Prioritize, rapidly assess, and remediate production level issues and lower region issues.
- Establish and maintain a high level of stakeholder intimacy in coordinating all activities, acting as the technical point of contact for operational systems, applying technical expertise to address and resolve any issues in a unique, rapid, and complex operational environment.
- Provide lifecycle support, conduct studies, support major reviews and demos, perform software and technology evaluations, identify solutions, provide recommendations, and plan activities.
- Translate customer and user needs into project requirements.
- Provide advanced end user support and customer service for (Jira, Confluence, Jenkins, SVN, Maven, and Tasktop) and various commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) applications; quickly diagnose and understand technical issues and resolutions across a variety of applications & environments.
- Collaborate with management, customers, and high-level technical personnel to provide direction in the evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of system applications and processes.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge.
- Act as liaison with software providers to track and resolve issues.
- Participate in developing Jira workflows, schemes, custom fields, JQL and dashboard reporting.
- Provide highly advanced technical assistance with version control systems and branch management with ability to work with development team to formulate check-in/release processes.
- Exercise independent judgment to define, develop, and implement original solutions to complex problems of a broad and diverse scope at the team, directorate, or institutional level.
- Create complex custom projects, workflows, schemes, screens, queries, and reports.
- Take the lead in working directly with cross-functional teams to understand customer needs, and provide guidance on what may or may not be possible within Jira/Confluence to meet those needs.
- Select, install, and configure plugins and add-ons to harness the full potential of Jira/Confluence.
- Build integrations between Atlassian products with other systems.
- Develop scalable Atlassian frameworks that are flexible to meet the needs of diverse groups.
Skills/Experience You'll Need:
- 8 to 10 years in IT with at least 5+ years of software related DevOps experience is required (software development with DevOps engineering/build engineering preferred)
- Previous experience in development, software maintenance, and infrastructure, or technical operations support
- Solid diagnostic, analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop scripts highly desirable
- Deep understanding of SDLC DevOps/Release Engineering and Automated deployment processes and project management methodologies including Waterfall and Agile
- Experience with supporting Jenkins, SVN, SonarQube & Atlassian Suite (Fisheye/Crucible Jira Confluence)
- Extensive experience with Linux and Windows.
- Demonstrate strong problem analysis problem resolution and decision-making and judgment skills
- Demonstrate excellent and effective interpersonal and communication skills with ability to build positive relationships with all levels of the organization
- Self-motivated with creativity to tackle hard-to-solve problems
- Ability to work independently and within a distributed team environment
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, problem solving, organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge and experience configuring and customizing commercial and open source software
- Experience conducting rapid trade studies and analysis of competing technologies
- Experience with configuration management processes and tools
- Experience with build automation using Maven and code quality inspection using SonarQube
- Demonstrate good conflict management skills and decisiveness
- Be able to effectively manage time with multiple, concurrent initiatives and changing priorities